Payment Options Available
- The Cherokee County Tax Office offers a preauthorized payment option for recurring monthly payments. This option allows you to set up a specified amount to be deducted from your bank account or charged to your debit/credit card each month. There will be a 2.7% processing fee for each transaction for either of these options. Download an authorization form (PDF). Fill out completely and mail or fax to 828-835-9228.
- You may also pay online, or by calling 866-416-8031. The 2.7% processing fee will be charged for either.
- If you do not wish to pay a processing fee, you may mail a check each month to pay your taxes before they become delinquent. Make check payable to Cherokee County Tax Collector and mail to:
75 Peachtree Street
Murphy, NC 28906
Please include your account number on your check.
- If you use Online Banking, another option would be to set up recurring monthly payments through Online Bill Pay with your bank. This is usually a free service offered by your bank.
- Of course, you may also pay in person at our office in the Courthouse. Our office is now equipped to accept credit/debit cards. There will be a convenience fee of 2.75% or $1 minimum. For payments after hours, a secure drop box is available for tax payments at the top of the handicap ramp on the side of the Courthouse.
- You may also choose any of the options above to prepay upcoming tax bills. Prepayments are accepted year round and is preferred by many taxpayers because monthly payments are easier to budget and plan for than the large annual payment due immediately following the holiday season. Please include the account number you wish to prepay.
- Start early! Prepayment coupons (PDF) are available online for your convenience.
- To avoid interest charges, tax bills should be paid in full by January 5th of each year.
- If you are unable to pay your tax bill in full by January 5, you may make partial payments. To find out if you qualify for a payment plan, contact Joy Kephart for details. Please note that if you have had payment plans in the past and did not pay as promised, you will not qualify. All payment plans must be paid in full by June 30, so it is best to start early. Interest will continue to accrue monthly.