The Cherokee County Finance Department operates an accounting and reporting system in compliance with North Carolina General Statute 159 (Local Government Budget and Fiscal Control Act) and other North Carolina General Statutes, Federal laws, and regulations. The Finance Department works to preserve and maintain the County's financial integrity and trustworthiness with sound fiscal policies, accurate and timely financial information, and strong budgetary and internal controls.
Our mission is to facilitate efficient and effective County services, support the overall County fiscal management, and provide quality and beneficial service to all Cherokee County employees and our citizens.
The Finance Department provides services that include the following:
- Accounts Payable and Receivable
- Administrating debts
- Assistance in budget preparation
- Collection of 1.5% gross receipts tax for short term motor vehicle rentals
- Collection of 4% occupancy tax for short term rentals
- Enforcement of approved budget ordinances and amendments
- Establishing internal controls
- Insurance coverage and claims
- Other accounting, financial and reporting matters
- Payroll and benefits for county employees