The Cherokee County Finance Department operates an accounting and reporting system in compliance with NC General Statute 159 (Local Government Budget and Fiscal Control Act) and other NC General Statutes, Federal laws, and regulations. The Finance Department works to preserve and maintain the County's financial integrity and trustworthiness with sound fiscal policies, accurate and timely financial information, and strong budgetary and internal controls.
Our mission is to facilitate efficient and effective County services, support the overall County fiscal management, and provide quality and beneficial service to all Cherokee County employees and our citizens.
The Finance Department provides services that include the following:
- Accounts Payable and Receivable
- Collection of 4% occupancy tax for short term rentals
- Collection of 1.5% gross receipts tax for short term motor vehicle rentals
- Administrating debts
- Enforcement of approved budget ordinances and amendments
- Assistance in budget preparation
- Payroll and benefits for county employees
- Insurance coverage and claims
- Establishing internal controls
- Other accounting, financial and reporting matters