Coping with Disaster
Keep enough supplies in your home to meet your need for at least three days. Assemble a Disaster Supplies Kit, with items you may need in an evacuation. Store these supplies in a sturdy, easy-to-carry backpack or other suitable container.
Include the following items in your Disaster Supplies Kit:
- A three day supply of water (one gallon per person per day)
- Food that will not spoil and does not need heating.
- One change of clothing and footwear per person
- One blanket or sleeping bag per person.
- A first aid kit that includes your family's prescription medications.
- Emergency tools including a battery-powered radio, flashlight and plenty of extra batteries.
- An extra set of car keys
- Credit card, cash or traveler's checks.
- Sanitation supplies.
- Special items for infant, elderly or disabled family members.
- An extra pair of glasses.
- Keep all important family documents in a waterproof container. Keep duplicate copies in the trunk of your car.